This course provides the knowledge & skills needed to become a lifeguard.
Click here to register with your online account!
Minimum age 16 by the last day of the scheduled course.
Physical Competency Requirements (conducted in class on the first day):
The following phases must be completed in succession.
- tread water for 2 minutes (legs only)
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards of each: Front crawl with head up, Sidestroke, Breaststroke, Breaststroke with head up, Elementary backstroke kick with hands on chest
- Perform a feet first surface dive in 8 feet of water and swim underwater for 15 feet
- Sprint for a distance of approx. 60 feet, and then perform an arm-over-arm surface dive in 8 feet of water
- Pick up an object from the bottom of the pool, surface, tread water for at least 1 minute with legs only, and replace the object back to the bottom of the pool where it was found
- Swim the remaining length to end of pool, and hoist yourself out of the water
- Immediately begin compressions on an adult manikin for 1 minute or 100 compressions; stand and listen for directions from instructor
- Quickly walk over to an elevated lifeguard stand, climb onto the lifeguard stand, sit down, look near your feet for a colored shape, and find the matching colored shape while scanning the pool area
- Scan and identify an object located somewhere in the pool area
- Stand up and blow a whistle loud and clearly shout "the Y is great" and then exit lifeguard stand
Requirements for Certification:
- 100% participation and 100% attendance to all days
- Must score 80% or higher on each section of the YMCA Lifeguard tests
- Must score 80% or higher on the CPR Pro, Basic First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen written tests
- Successfully perform all practical skills
- Successfully demonstrate the ability to prevent, recognize, activate emergency action plan, rescue, provide emergency care, and complete reports
- Successfully demonstrate strength and maturity to be a Lifeguard to prevent accidents and also respond to emergencies through classroom and pool scenarios
Cost: $200 ($50 non-refundable), no cost if you agree to work here.
No Classes Scheduled until Fall.
RECERTIFICATION LIFEGUARD COURSES
**Must have current lifeguard, CPR Pro/AED, First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen cards**
*Must hold current YMCA Lifeguard Certification for this course*
No Classes Scheduled at this time.
Cost: $100 ($50 non-refundable) *Save $50.00 if you kept your books*
Red Cross to YMCA Crossover Course and Recertification
*Must hold current Red Cross Lifeguard Certification for this course*
Cost: $100 ($50 non-refundable)