Summer at the Y
Summer is an exciting time at the Athens YMCA! We love being able to house summer camp and swim lessons at our facility. See below for Frequently Asked Questions on summer at the Y.
What does summer look like at the Athens YMCA?
Summer is a fun but extremely busy time for us. Summer day camp and swim lessons add a different element to the facility. Between 7:50 am and 6:00 pm, you can expect to see kids and coaches in the hallway, gyms, youth room, downstairs rooms, racquetball courts, and front lobby.
What are the busiest times?
During summer, the building is buzzing with energy all day. Here are some notable time frames that are particularly busy:
- 7:50 am to 10 am: check in for summer camp causes additional people to be in the pick up loop, gyms, and hallways.
- 12 pm and 1 pm: Summer swim lessons meet in the front lobby on the hour for every class. We will have 12 pm and 1 pm classes Monday through Thursday.
- 3 pm to 6 pm: Summer swim lessons and check out are going on at this time. The front lobby and pick up loop will be crowded.
How does summer impact the facility space?
- Basketball Gyms: Summer camp will be using the basketball gyms from 7:50 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday. Pick-up basketball will still be held Tuesday and Thursday from 12 pm to 2 pm.
- Racquetball Courts: Summer camp will be using the racquetball courts off and on between 9:30 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. To reserve a racquetball court, please call the front desk at (706) 543 - 6596.
- Downstairs Rooms: Summer camp will be using the downstairs rooms off and on between 9:30 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
- Youth Room: Summer camp will be using the youth room from 11 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday.
- Front Lobby: Swim lessons will meet in the front lobby before heading to the indoor pool. They will meet in the front lobby at 12 pm, 1 pm, 4 pm, 5 pm and 6 pm Monday through Thursday (and Friday, May 31st).
When is the outdoor pool open?
The outdoor pool is open May 20th - August 24th
- Monday - Friday: 4 pm to 7:45 pm
- Saturday: 10 am to 4:45 pm
- Sunday: 1 pm to 5:45 pm
When is the indoor pool open?
- Monday - Friday: 5 am to 9:15 pm
- Monday 20th - July 18th: swim lessons will be using the indoor pool from 12 pm to 2 pm and 4 pm to 7 pm Monday through Thursday and Friday, May 31st
- June 4th - 27th and July 9th - August 1st: swim lessons will be using a portion of the indoor pool at 10 am, 5:30 pm and 7 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Saturday: 7 am to 4:45 pm
- Sunday: 1 pm to 5:45 pm
Do you sell family guest passes during the summer?
No. We do not sell family guest passes between May 1st and September 1st. We will continue to sell individual guest passes.