Summer at the Y
Summer is an exciting time at the Athens YMCA! We love being able to house summer camp and swim lessons at our facility. See below for Frequently Asked Questions about summer at the Y.
What does summer look like at the Athens YMCA?
Summer is fun but an extremely busy time for us. Summer day camp and swim lessons add a different element to the facility. Between 7:50 am and 6 pm, you can expect to see kids and coaches in the hallway, gyms, youth room, downstairs rooms, racquetball courts and front lobby.
What are the busiest times?
During summer, the building is buzzing with energy all day. Here are some notable time frames that are particularly busy:
- 7:50 am to 10 am: check in for summer camp causes additional people to be in the pick up loop, gyms and hallways.
- 12 pm and 1 pm: summer swim lessons are going on at this time. Expect additional people to be in the parking lot, sidewalks and indoor pool.
- 3 pm to 6 pm: summer swim lessons and check out are going on at this time. The big gym, indoor pool, parking lot, sidewalks and pick up loop will be crowded.
How does summer impact the facility space?
- Basketball Gyms: summer camp will be using the basketball gyms from 7:50 am to 6 pm Monday - Friday. Pick up basketball will still be held Tuesday and Thursday from 12 pm to 2 pm.
- Racquetball Courts: summer camp will be using the racquetball courts off and on between 9:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday - Friday. To reserve a racquetball court, please call the front desk at (706) 543 - 6596
- Youth Room: summer camp will be using the youth room from 11 am to 6 pm Monday - Friday.
When is the outdoor pool open?
The outdoor pool is open May 24th - August 28th (limited hours starting August 1st)
- Monday - Thursday: 4 pm to 7:30 pm
- Friday: 12 pm to 7:30 pm
- Saturday: 10 am to 4:30 pm
When is the indoor pool open?
- Monday - Friday: 6:15 am to 8:30 pm
- May 24th - July 18th: swim lessons will be using the indoor pool from 12 pm to 2 pm and 4 pm to 7 pm Monday - Thursday and Friday, June 4th
- June 1st - 24th and July 6th - 29th: swim lessons will be using a portion of the indoor pool at 10 am, 5:30 pm and 7 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Saturday: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm
We are excited to spend another summer with all of you!